Friday, July 27, 2012

13 days and counting

No picture today, but things continue to be worked on or completed. I felted a bag and just need to add something for a decoration. I'm thinking a felted flower. I saw a neat crocheted rose that is different from the one I made last year. Eleanor has started working on a dress, but will have to finish it the week entries are due as she didn't work on it today and tomorrow we'll be working at the fair to help with set up. Then she's off to camp for the week.

This will be Kate's first year to enter something. She's making cookies. We'll make the dough next week and freeze it so we can just pop it in the oven the day entries are due and be done with it. I wish we could do that with Claire's baked good, but she wants to do brownies and I don't think that will work. They might freeze well after baking . . .hmmm. Something to think about. Maybe you are shocked that I would suggest baking something now and freezing it for later? Well don't be. I learned this tip from a Purple ribbon/Pillsbury Bake off winner. I tried it last year and everything I made in advance and then froze won better ribbons than anything I made fresh.

I've started cutting out the rest of the tops for my stockings for "You be the judge". I was playing around with some embroidery for Ben's stocking that he wants to make, but my sample didn't work. Turns out I had the wrong thread in the bobbin. I will get the right kind tomorrow. I'm thinking we may just use iron on's instead to get the look he wants. As long as he sews it together is the biggest part. It's going to be cute.

I was hoping the kids would be more done (terrible grammar I think) at this point so I would not be stressed out, but no-I will not be so lucky.

If I counted correctly, I will have entered something in 11 different categories in the Home Arts Building alone this year. They are as follows: Crochet, Knitting, Clothing, Animals, Toys, & Dolls, Felting, Smocking, Accessories, Baking, Candy, Hand Embroidery and Needlework on Canvas. I bought a drop spindle while on our vacation this year and hope to learn how to use it this year so I can spin some wool and make something from it and enter that in the spinning next year! In most of these categories I will only enter one item, but in a few, I will enter 2 or more. If all goes well I will enter three items in smocking this year-a first for me! I also have several stockings in various stages of completion. I doubt enough to win most made, but enough to make me feel like I'm giving a good contribution. I won't say how many yet as I've only completed a handful. The rest are in various stages of completion.

I will enter a picture or two in photography and a tie dye shirt but those are in another building.

Okay, time for me to go to bed, so I have energy to finish up everything in the next couple of weeks!

No comments: