Friday, October 25, 2013
The dress is a black costume satin from JoAnns-very slippery and hard to sew! The overlay and sleeves are made from a drapey tulle like fabric from the Halloween section of JoAnns. Eleanor picked it out herself. I made two dresses, put the spiderweb one on top of the black one and then treated as one dress when adding the zipper, neck facing and the sleeves. We attached cloth-like spiderweb to the neckline from the dollar store. The hat is one we already had, but I need to get a bigger one as this is meant for a smaller child. On the hat is the cutest owl we purchased at the dollar store. Finally we made a belt from cording from the drapery section at JoAnns and added a spider belt buckle that I made from a spider we purchased from a costume store and glued a tough twisty tie inside to attach to the knot of the belt. I'm tempted to find some little spiders and glue them in the center of all the webs. I don't think I have the time and patience to do that, but I think it would really add something!
On a fairworthy scale from 1 to 10 meaning 1=absolutely unfairworthy and 10=totally fairworthy I would rate this dress a 7. The invisible zipper gave me a bit of trouble so it's not as smooth as it could be a the base of the zipper-there's a pucker, but the overlay fabric is difficult to rip out without ripping, so I tacked it down the best I could. The hem is a bit wonky in the back, but since I may re-hem this dress for fair to cut off what is sure to be dirty, I'm not too worried at the moment.
Next on the docket-Tinkerbell and Princess Leia.