Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Baby Shower Fun and burp cloths

I recently had a baby shower for someone at church who is having twins. I thought I would share one of the games that we played. I got the idea from the internet and then adapted it to meet my needs.

It's called the dirty diaper game and the way most sites recommended playing it was to make or buy these little diapers and then you just pass them out and then everyone opens their diaper and looks inside. If they have a "dirty" diaper, they win. Kind of boring.

Another way to play was to pass out the diapers at the beginning of the shower and then whenever someone said "baby" they had to give their diaper to the person who caught them. We've played a game like that before, but most of the people at the shower didn't really know the mom and since the only topic that was the easiest to talk about was about the babies, I wanted to encourage conversation. So I came up with the idea of putting the diapers on name tags. Here's how I did it:First I cut out a triangle that was 2" wide and 1 1/2" tall.Then I folded the bottom point up and the side points in like you would a cloth diaper (well one in the shape of a triangle anyway.)Then I needed to make holes for the pin. I have this nifty very tiny hole punch that was perfect for the job. I have too many gadgets like this. At least it's getting some use!This is what the diaper looked like after I punch the holes.Add the pin.
Attach diaper to name tag. Everyone wore the name tag not knowing it was also a game. At the end of the shower, I had everyone open up their diapers to see if they had won.
I also made some burp cloths for the mom to be. I used these directions as a base and the made a few changes to make them easier and faster to sew up. I do have five children after all.
Since she is having twins, I thought I'd better make twelve. I never burped my babies, they burped very well on their own. They did spit up a lot though and I never seemed to have enough diapers for both their bottoms and my shoulder. Although the mom isn't going to cloth diaper (and I wouldn't use these types of diapers anyway), she is having two babies and so I figure there will be lots of burping and spitting going on.

I'm off to buy fabric for smocking today. The Smocking Bonnet is located in Mt. Airy which is fairly close to me. So Claire, Kate and I are going up there to get in trouble, I mean buy some fabric for dresses. Trent's nephew is getting married in June and I need something to enter in the fair or my nightmare will really come true.

No comments: