Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I am no fan of the Kitchener Stitch!

Ellie's socks are done, but please do not look too closely at the toes. Ugh, I need to take a private lesson or two on that Kitchener stitch. I get the concept, I understand it for the most part, but when I start to do it, I end up all confused and end up with more stitches on one needle than the other. I hoped to enter these in the fair, but there is no way with the toes the way they are. Oh well. I recently purchased another sock book that teaches how to knit socks from the toe up and will try that method for my next pair. (Since writing this, I have found a tutorial on youtube and I feel better about trying again.)

The yarn is some acrylic something I bought at A.C.Moore that makes the designs as you knit. For once I actually had trouble knitting too tightly (rarely happens for me) and even ended up breaking one of my bamboo sock needles-yikes! I don't like the way they feel, but Ellie and her sister Macy don't seem to mind. Ellie put them on as soon as I attempted to sew the toes closed, Macy found them and wore them yesterday (I took this picture after she removed them for the day, that's why they're a bit dirty) and I found Ellie digging through the laundry to put them on today (I told her I had to wash them before she could put them on). Macy is now wanting to know when I will make her a pair. I was hoping to use some Noro yarn I have on hand, but she wants blue and purple stripped so I will use some Dalegarn Stork yarn I have. I will enjoy knitting with that much more I think. Maybe those socks will be fairworthy.

I used double pointed needles for the first time (I've only made one other pair of socks and they were on two circular needles) and I bought two sets so that I could knit both socks together so they would be the same size. I should have made these a bit longer and used a rib stitch the entire sock instead of just at the top for more stretch. Lessons learned. I used a book that just gives you basic sock instructions and you decide the yarn, gauge, etc. It's in my car right now or I'd give the title.

Kate is asleep, Claire is resting and Ellie has lunch bunch at preschool today. I'm going to try to work on some boxer shorts for my husband. The last batch I made are so old and falling apart-he's in desperate need of more.

I will leave you with a parting picture I found in our picture folder. Ben inherited his dad's old digital camera and has been using it to take all sorts of pictures. As you know, he loves Calvin and Hobbes. This is his imitation of Calvin getting his picture taken. Believe it or not, he's actually taken some good ones and we plan to enter those in the fair this August.

No comments: